Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Clause Identification

Identification of clauses is a tricky matter in English Grammar. A clause may be nominal or adjectival depending on its position and function in the sentence.
Identify whether the following underlined clauses are Noun, Adjective, Adverb, Co-ordinate or Principal Clause. Mouse over (don't Click) answers at the end of sentences.

  1. Tell me where you are now. Answer
  2. Don’t do anything that hurts your teacher. Answer
  3. I can’t remember when he came here Answer
  4. He gave me everything I asked for. ----Answer
  5. If I were you, I would not do this.----Answer
  6. I can’t remember where I was born.----Answer
  7. He worked hard but could not succeed.----Answer
  8. Wait here until I return.----Answer
  9. I wonder if he can help me ----Answer
  10. We’ll buy everything you produce provided the price is reasonable ----Answer
  11. Nobody can explain why he failed.----Answer
  12. This is where I was born. ----Answer
  13. This is the boy we have been looking for. ----Answer
  14. This is the book Rana has been looking for. ----Answer
  15. This is what he said about you. ----Answer
  16. The money she spends comes from abroad.
  17. Wherever you go I shall follow you.
  18. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
  19. I have no objection to what you are saying.
  20. I can’t utter the words he said
  21. It seemed that it would rain.
  22. I am sure that you will pass the test.
  23. Were I your friend, I would help you.
  24. The teacher asked me where I was born.
  25. She is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen
  26. Tell me where he was born.
  27. Stay where you are.
  28. Walk fast lest you should miss the train.
  29. I know the girl you love.
  30. I know whom you love.
  31. Show me the place where you were born.
  32. Had you been there, I would give you the news.
  33. Who she is is still a mystery.
  34. Nobody is happy with what they have
  35. Strike the iron while it is red.
  36. This is where I live.
  37. The news that he has come back is not true.
  38. The news that you gave me is not true.
  39. He asked me if I was a student.
  40. Wherever he goes, his son goes with him.
  41. He could not come, for he was ill.
  42. The man you spoke to is my brother.
  43. Do as I say.
  44. May I ask when you will come back.
  45. You can put the book wherever you like.
  46. The moment you lose is lost for ever.
  47. Read attentively or you will fail.
  48. I can’t remember the time when I came here.
  49. Do what I say 

Answers

0 comments: